Apply to extend
You must apply online.
Get help using a computer to apply online
You can get help with:
- accessing a computer or the internet
- finding the right information on GOV.UK
You cannot get advice on:
- whether you’re eligible to apply
- what information to put in your application
- an application you’ve already made
After you submit your application you’ll be asked to provide your fingerprints and a digital photo (called ‘biometric information’).
Any children aged 6 and over who are applying on your form must also provide biometric information.
When to apply
You can submit your application as soon as you meet all the eligibility requirements - you do not need to wait until your current visa expires.
You must be in the UK to apply.
How long it takes
You’ll be told whether your application has been successful within 8 weeks.
You’ll be contacted if your application is complex and will take longer, for example:
- if your supporting documents need to be verified
- if you need to attend an interview
- because of your personal circumstances, for example if you have a criminal conviction