Apply to extend
You must apply online.
Get help using a computer to apply online
You can get help with:
- accessing a computer or the internet
- finding the right information on GOV.UK
You cannot get advice on:
- whether you’re eligible to apply
- what information to put in your application
- an application you’ve already made
Providing biometric information and supporting documents
You’ll need to book an appointment to provide your biometric information (fingerprints and a photo) and have your supporting documents checked. You’ll be told how to do this when you apply.
Any children aged 6 and over who are applying on your application must also provide biometric information.
You must not travel outside of the UK, Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man until you get a decision. Your application will be withdrawn if you do.
When to apply
You can submit your application as soon as you meet all the eligibility requirements - you do not need to wait until your current visa expires.
You must be in the UK to apply.
How long it takes
You’ll be told whether your application has been successful within 8 weeks.
You’ll be contacted if your application is complex and will take longer, for example:
- if your supporting documents need to be verified
- if you need to attend an interview
- because of your personal circumstances, for example if you have a criminal conviction