Apply to extend
Read the guidance on long residence before you apply.
Fill in form FLR(LR) and post it to the address on the form.
You’ll also need to:
- send supporting documents
- provide a photo and fingerprints - known as ‘biometric information’
Find a Post Office that takes biometric information (called ‘biometric enrolment’) - choose ‘Home Office Biometric Enrolment’ from the drop down list.
When to apply
You can send your application as soon as you meet all the eligibility requirements - you don’t need to wait until your current visa expires.
You must be in the UK to apply.
How long it takes
You’ll be told whether your application has been successful within 8 weeks.
You’ll be contacted if your application is complex and will take longer, eg:
- if your supporting documents need to be verified
- if you need to attend an interview
- because of your personal circumstances, for example if you have a criminal conviction