Warning You can't apply for this licence online. Contact your local council


You might need a licence from PRS for Music and Phonographic Performance Limited (PPL) or Video Performance Limited (VPL) to use copyright music online or on mobile technology.

PRS for Music administers the rights of composers, lyricists and music publishers in relation to songs, instrumentals, etc.

PPL and VPL administer the rights of record companies and performers in relation to sound recordings (eg CDs) and music videos respectively.

The type of licence you need depends on your operation. Licences are required for businesses that use copyright music:

  • for online radio stations
  • for music streaming websites
  • for music download services
  • for subscription music services
  • in webcast services
  • as audio downloads in a podcast 
  • to sell as ringtones or ringback tones

Licence fees are payable, but these vary depending on the type of licence applied for and from whom.

You can find more information about the type of licence you need, as well as application forms, on both the PRS for Music and the PPL websites.

You can also contact:

PRS for Music’s Broadcast & Online Licensing team
Telephone: 020 7306 4991
Find out about call charges

PPL’s TV or Radio Broadcast Licensing Teams

Fines and penalties

You are infringing copyright and could be sued for damages if you use copyright music or music videos online or on mobile technology without being licensed.