Delaying or being excused from jury service
You may be able to delay (‘defer’) jury service, for example if:
- you’ve already booked a holiday
- you’re having an operation
- your employer won’t give you time off work
You can only defer jury service once.
How to defer
Write to the Jury Central Summoning Bureau explaining why you want to defer. Include evidence showing that you won’t be available, for example:
- proof that you’ve booked a holiday
- a letter from your doctor
- a letter from your employer explaining why they won’t give you time off
You must also list the dates when you’ll be available in the 12 months after you were supposed to start jury duty.
Jury Central Summoning Bureau