Jobcentre Plus help for recruiters
3. Work trials
A work trial is a way of trying out a potential employee before offering them a job. Once agreed with Jobcentre Plus, you can offer a work trial if the job is for 16 hours or more a week and lasts at least 13 weeks. The work trial can last up to 30 days.
Some of the benefits are:
- it’s risk free - you can try the person out before making a final decision
- you know they’re committed because they’re volunteering to do it
- there are no wage costs - people continue to get their benefits
- there’s very little paperwork and it’s fuss-free
The conditions for a work trial are:
- the duration of the trial must be agreed in advance
- the jobseeker must meet eligibility conditions and volunteer to take part - Jobcentre Plus will check this for you
Contact your local Jobcentre Plus to find out more.