If your business or premises change

Your business rates could change if:

  • you move or make changes to your premises
  • the nature of your business changes
  • you sublet part of your property
  • you merge 2 or more properties into 1

You must report any changes to ensure you’re paying the right amount and do not get a backdated increase in your bill.

Report changes using the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) service in England or Wales.

Business rates are handled differently in Scotland and Northern Ireland

If your premises are affected by local disruption

You may get a temporary reduction in your business rates if your premises are affected by severe local disruption (like flooding, building or roadworks).

Report changes using the VOA service.