Claim Income Tax reliefs

Skip to contents of guide

Charity donations: tax relief

Donations to charity from individuals are tax free. You can get tax relief if you donate:

Donations through Gift Aid

Charities and community amateur sports clubs (CASCs) can register with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to be part of the Gift Aid scheme. When they’re registered, they can claim back the tax you’ve already paid on your donation.

The charity or CASC will give you a form to sign. They must also have an HMRC charity reference number - ask the charity or CASC if you’re not sure.

If the charity or CASC gets back more tax than you’ve paid, HMRC may ask you to pay more tax to cover the difference.

You pay Income Tax above the 20% basic rate

You can claim back the difference between the tax you’ve paid on the donation and what the charity got back when you fill in your Self Assessment tax return.

If you do not fill in a Self Assessment tax return, call HMRC to tell them about your charity donations.

You get Married Couple’s Allowance

Your tax-free allowance may increase if you make donations through Gift Aid and claim Married Couple’s Allowance.

If you fill in a Self Assessment tax return, your allowance will be adjusted automatically if it needs to be.

If you do not, call HMRC to tell them about your charity donations.

Payroll Giving schemes

If your employer or pension provider offers a Payroll Giving scheme, any donations you give through the scheme will be taken before Income Tax is taken off.

You’ll still pay National Insurance contributions on the amount of your donation. But you will not pay any Income Tax on the amount you donate.