Getting and using a horse passport

Import or export a horse or related animal

What you need to do depends on whether you’re importing or exporting the horse or related animal.


If you’re importing from within the EU, you must register the animal with a UK Passport Issuing Organisation (PIO) within 30 days. If you have a pedigree, you need to register through a PIO that manages studbooks.

To import from outside the EU you must:

  • contact the Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA) before it arrives
  • within 30 days of it arriving in the UK, contact a UK PIO to register, upgrade or replace the horse’s documents, or apply for a new passport


You must keep the passport with the horse and follow the rules for exporting horses.