1. Overview

All horses, ponies and donkeys must have a horse passport.

The passport helps:

  • make sure horses treated with certain medicines don’t end up as food for people
  • prevent the sale of a stolen horse, pony or donkey, as the passport proves its identity

The animal’s rider or keeper must have the passport with them at all times when they’re with the animal, unless it’s in a stable, grazing in a field, or being moved by foot. Owners can take their animals for short rides without one.

You (or the animal’s main keeper) may have to show the passport to a Trading Standards inspector or an animal health officer.

You can be fined up to £5,000 if you don’t have a valid horse passport.

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.