Getting and using a horse passport

Apply for a horse passport

If you own the horse or related animal, you must get a passport for it before it reaches 12 months of age.

How to apply

Apply through a Passport Issuing Organisation (PIO). If you have a pedigree animal, you need to register through a PIO that manages studbooks.

Applications can take up to 6 weeks. How you pay depends on the PIO and type of animal.

As part of the application, you’ll need:

  • a vet to implant a microchip in your horse
  • to declare whether it can be used as food for humans when it dies - this can’t be changed later

There’s no expiry on horse passports - they last an animal’s lifetime.

Replace a lost passport

Contact the Passport Issuing Organisation (PIO) that issued the original passport to request a duplicate.

If you don’t know which PIO this is, you can apply for a replacement from another PIO. Apply to a PIO that manages studbooks if you have a pedigree.

If your horse had a passport from another EU country and is a pedigree, you can request a duplicate from an EU PIO.

Your horse won’t be used as food when it dies if it’s given a duplicate or replacement passport.

You’re breaking the law if you apply for a replacement or duplicate passport when the original isn’t lost.

If you find your original passport

Send the passport back to the PIO that issued it. If the PIO no longer exists or is not in the UK, then send it to any appropriate UK PIO.