Specialist areas - Valuables: Cashcheques - returned automatic cashcheques (AG)
To deal with a returned automatic cashcheque, consider steps 1 to 5.
What is the reason for the cashcheque being returned?
Note: You can find out the reason by reading any correspondence that has been sent with the cashcheque, the envelope that the cashcheque was issued in, or by looking on the computer - for example, looking in Function VIEW APPLICATION or Function VIEW HOUSEHOLD NOTES.
Where the cashcheque is returned
- because it’s made out to someone other than the customer, follow the guidance in TCM0134460, which will advise you of the action that needs to be taken, then, if there isn’t any identity fraud, go to .
- for any other reason, go to .
Use Function RECORD APPLICANT FAILED PAYMENT and go to the Record Applicant Failed Payment screen
- select the appropriate payment
- select [Details]. You’ll be taken to the Cancel Applicant Payment screen
- go to .
On the Cancel Applicant Payment screen
- select an appropriate reason from the Cancel Reason drop down menu
- select [OK]. Once the cancellation of the payment has been recorded, the Record Applicant Failed Payment screen will be redisplayed
- select [OK]. An entry will be created on the Applicant Failed Payment work list
- go to .
Use Function MAINTAIN HOUSEHOLD NOTES to record that the cashcheque has been returned. Where the reason for the return of the cashcheque
- is known, enter the following
‘TCMZ Cashcheque returned because (enter the reason). Suspension of any later payments must be considered’
- isn’t known, enter the following
‘TCMZ Cashcheque returned - reason not known. Suspension of any later payments must be considered’
- go to .
Send the returned cashcheque to Revenue Finance, Worthing for storage. (This content has been withheld because of exemptions in the Freedom of Information Act 2000)