Specialist areas - Valuables: Cashcheques - returned automatic cashcheques (Info)
When a computer-generated cashcheque is returned, it must be dealt with as a matter of urgency.
If it isn’t possible to deal with the cashcheques on the same day that they’re received, the cashcheques must be locked away securely overnight.
Computer-generated cashcheques will be returned to you if they’re
- made out to someone other than the customer
- damaged - for example torn, washed or spoiled
- more than one month old and can no longer be cashed
- returned undelivered by the Royal Mail - for example, it’s RLS or the address doesn’t exist
- reported lost, stolen or not received and then found.
Returned cashcheques will be cancelled (made void) on receipt, by the Post Room before being forwarded to you.
Where the cashcheque is returned because it’s been made out to someone else, you must follow the guidance in TCM0134460, which will advise you of the action, if any, that needs to be taken.
All other cashcheques must be
- cancelled on the computer
- forwarded to Revenue Finance, Worthing for storage.
There is an Action Guide for this subject, select TCM0302140 to access it