Specialist areas - Valuables: Birth certificates - replacement requests (Info)
The Post Room in Tax Credit Office (TCO) will send any requests from customers for a replacement birth certificate to the appropriate Operations area.
When you receive the request, you must check Household Notes for any indication that it may be a foreign document.
- If it’s a foreign document send the document to the Valuables Team
- check the approximate date that the birth certificate was sent and to which office it was sent
and, in case a replacement birth certificate needs to be issued
- check information that will enable the Valuables Team to issue the customer with a replacement birth certificate.
If the customer provides the information requested, you must
- complete form TC648 with the requested information
- phone the appropriate Valuables Team to check if they have a record of it.
Note: If the birth certificate has been sent to another office - for example, Netherton - or the Valuables Team has no record of the birth certificate, you must phone the other office to determine if they have a record of it.
The Valuables Team will inform you that
- the birth certificate has been returned to the customer. You must inform the customer of the date it was returned to them and advise them to contact Royal Mail
- the birth certificate hasn’t been received in the office. You must inform the customer of this and advise them to contact the Royal Mail
the birth certificate has been received in the office but not returned to the customer. The Valuables Team will then check their store of unmatched birth certificates. If the birth certificate
- is found in the Valuables Team store, you must inform the customer that it has been found and will be returned to them
- isn’t found in the Valuables Team store, you must send the completed form TC648 and any other correspondence to the Valuables Team so that they can issue the customer with a replacement birth certificate.
If the customer doesn’t provide the information requested, you must
- complete a form TC648 stating that the customer hasn’t provided the information requested
- store form TC648 and the customer’s request for a replacement birth certificate.
There is an Action Guide for this subject, select TCM0302060 to access it