Beta This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

Tax Credits Manual

Payment - returned or not received: Cashcheque returned (Info)

When a computer-generated cashcheque is returned, it must be dealt with as a matter of urgency. If it isn’t possible to deal with the cashcheques on the same day that they’re received, the cashcheques must be securely locked away overnight.

Computer generated cashcheques will be returned to you if they’re

  • made out to someone other than the customer
  • damaged - for example, torn, washed or spoiled
  • more than one month old and can no longer be cashed
  • sent to reduce an overpayment
  • returned undelivered by the Royal Mail - for example, it’s RLS or the address doesn’t exist
  • reported lost, stolen or not received and then found.

Returned cashcheques will be cancelled (made void) on receipt, by the central post room before being forwarded to you.

Where the cashcheque is returned because the payee name has been changed or the cashcheque otherwise amended, send the cashcheque with any correspondence and a completed form TC648 (This content has been withheld because of exemptions in the Freedom of Information Act 2000)

All other cashcheques must be

  • cancelled and, in most cases, re-issued

Note: Once the reason for the failure has been resolved, you can re-issue payment using Function RECORD FAILED PAYMENT (or, for a manual payment, by using Function USER REQUESTED PAYMENT). The payments to the customer are re-profiled. The cancelled payment reduces the amount already paid to the customer and will be included in any payment arrears issued by the computer. For more information on payment profiling, follow the guidance in TCM0232200.

and then

  • forwarded to Revenue Finance, Worthing for storage.

The following guidance includes the range of options for corrective action for cancelled cashcheques. The computer will re-issue system payments but won’t re-issue manual payments. Some will require manual re-issue until any problem has been resolved. The Function USER REQUESTED PAYMENT can be used to set up manual payment. If this isn’t available, you can use form R92TC.

There is an Action Guide for this subject, select TCM0236100 to access it