Miscellaneous (P to V): Visual impairment (AG)
To deal with a request from a visually impaired customer for correspondence to be sent in a different format, consider steps 1 to 9.
- the Special Needs signal no longer needs to be set or has been set in error, go to .
- the Special Needs signal is set and you’re issuing a manual form to the customer, go to .
a request is received for all correspondence be issued in a different format or you’ve amended the customer’s address when the Special Needs signal is set
check you have the following information
- phone number (if applicable)
- the format that the customer has requested (Braille, large print, audiotape, CD-ROM or floppy disk)
- If you don’t have all the relevant information, go to .
- If you have all the relevant information, go to .
Note: If the Special Needs signal is set at ‘Braille’, ‘Audio’ or ‘Large Print’ and the customer notifies you of a change of address, notify the Visually Impaired Media Unit (VIMU) of the change, otherwise correspondence will be sent to the previous address.
Phone the customer for the missing information you need. Follow the guidance in TCM0094080.
- If you’re able to contact the customer by phone and obtain all the missing information, go to .
If you’re unable to contact the customer by phone
- send form TC664 to the customer for the missing information, then go to .
- where you can’t obtain the missing information after following the normal reminder cycle, go to .
Use Function AMEND APPLICATION selecting the correction option
- enter the NINO in the Key Entry Data screen
- select the ‘All’ checkbox
- select [OK]
Note: If the Select Application screen is displayed, select the claims affected by this change.
* If the claim is pre-award, go to . * If the claim is post award and the Special Needs signal * doesn’t display, go to . * displays, go to . * If the claim is ‘Withdrawn’ or ’Rejected’, send any correspondence to storage. Follow the guidance in [TCM0074140](https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/tax-credits-manual/tcm0074140).
If the claim is pre-award, the following message will display
‘Details must be recorded on the Free Format screen. Do you wish to proceed?’
- select [Yes]
- enter the reason for the change in the Free Format screen - for example, ‘Customer requests all correspondence be sent in Braille’
Note: The changes will be stored on the Free Format screen. Once the claim has been awarded, this will create an entry on the ‘Unprocessed Change of Circumstances’ work list.
- go to .
In the Applicant Details screen
- select ‘Household’ on the toolbar menu
select ‘Details’ from the drop down menu. The ‘Household Details’ box will display
If setting or changing the Special Needs signal
select either ‘Braille’, ‘Audio’ or ‘Large Print’ from the drop-down menu
If removing the Special Needs signal
select the ‘Blank’ field from the drop-down menu
Note: If the customer has requested floppy disk or CD-ROM, select ‘Audio’ from the Special Needs drop-down menu as there are no options available for these. When you notify VIMU of the request, inform VIMU of the required format requested by the customer.
- select [OK]. You’ll be taken to the Amend Finish screen
- go to .
On the Amend Finish screen
- enter the date the notification of the change was received
- enter the source of the change - for example, phone or paper
- enter the reason for the change
- select [OK]. The computer will now automatically accept the change of circumstances and will apply the change at the effective date
Note: The changes you have made in this function won’t be applied until you complete the Amend Finish screen.
* If the message ‘S18 Refinalisation Rules - Potential inappropriate refinalisation for CCYY-CCYY. If you have the authority to re-finalise under S19, S20 or S21 of the Tax Credit Act 2002 or due to an appeal decision. Press OK to process the change or Cancel’ displays * the changes you are making will re-finalise the claim, follow the guidance in [TCM0042260](https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/tax-credits-manual/tcm0042260) before making any changes then, if you can make the change * select [OK] on the message * go to . * If the message ‘S18 Refinalisation Rules - Actual Income for CCYY-CCYY is required. This change will not be accepted’ displays * you won’t be able to make the change because the PY actual income is required, follow the guidance in [TCM0042260](https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/tax-credits-manual/tcm0042260) before making any changes then, if you can make the change * select [OK] on the message * go to . * If the message ‘S18 Refinalisation Rules - You do not have the authority to re-finalise CCYY-CCYY. This change will not be accepted. Please refer to the appropriate team’ displays * the changes you’re making will re-finalise the claim * select [Cancel]. You’ll be taken to the Amend Application Details screen * select [Cancel] * when the message ‘All changes to the application will be lost for this session, do you wish to proceed?’ displays, select [Yes] * pass the case to a Level 2 User or your manager. For more information, use ‘Level 1 and Level 2 users’ on [TCM0320260](https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/tax-credits-manual/tcm0320260) * take no further action. * If none of the messages display, go to .
- you’re notifying VIMU of a change of address or a customer’s requested format for future correspondence, enter the information you obtained at onto the Visually Impaired Media Unit request form (Word 42KB)
- you’ve identified that a manual notice is required in Braille, large print, audiotape, CD-ROM or floppy disk, complete the manual notice and form TC648
- send it by email to the VIMU email (This content has been withheld because of exemptions in the Freedom of Information Act 2000)
Note: VIMU don’t have access to tax credits computer records and need all details fully completed on the request form (in particular, the ‘Requesting Officer’ and ‘Customers’ details). Data movement templates will be required for the action of sending information by email to VIMU.
- go to .
Use Function MAINTAIN HOUSEHOLD NOTES and select the ‘General’ category to record any of the following messages that apply.
If you’ve come from
- Step 2
‘NC83 - COC corre re (details), further info needed. UTC X 2. Letter (details) issued to (details). BF (DD/MM/YY). Corre rec (DD/MM/YY) from (source)’
- Step 7
‘NC78 - All correspondence to be issued in (*BRAILLE, *LARGE PRINT, *AUDIO, *FLOPPY DISK or *CD-ROM *delete as appropriate)’
‘NC79 - Visually Impaired Media Unit notified of customer’s change of address’
‘NC86 - Form TCXXX issued to Visually Impaired Media Unit for conversion. COC corre re(details), further info needed(details). BF(DD/MM/YY)’
- go to .
Send the correspondence to storage. Follow the guidance in TCM0074140.