Changes - miscellaneous (A-F): Deleting details (Info)
If you establish that information is incorrect and should not be recorded on the computer, you must take action to delete this information.
You will have already established what information needs deleting, and why, by following guidance already in the manual, for example
* by following the guidance in [TCM0078560](https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/tax-credits-manual/tcm0078560) or [TCM0272200](https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/tax-credits-manual/tcm0272200)
or, if appropriate
* by contact with the customer.
Note: You must not delete any details unless you are absolutely sure that the record should never have been recorded.
Note: If there is a duplicate or fictitious child, it is not possible to delete a child from the computer. Instead, you must follow the guidance in TCM0032280.
You will need to delete details that should not be on the computer where, for example
* it has been established that the customer is not currently working and there is a number in the Number Of Jobs field in the Work Details screen * it has been established that the customer has not worked during the whole of the award period but there is income recorded in the Earnings field in the Income Details screen * it has been established that the customer was not in receipt of IS / JSA / ESA or PC during the period of the award, but there is an IS / JSA / ESA or MIG start date recorded in the In Receipt Of field * a household end date has been incorrectly recorded in the Household Details screen in Function AMEND APPLICATION and there is no subsequent claim
Note: If there is a subsequent claim, you must not remove the incorrect household end date as this may cause an overlapping award. A household end date must not be removed unless it has been confirmed that it is incorrect. A claim must not be reinstated, by removing a household end date, once a household has broken down, even if the household is reunited again. For example: a change of circumstances is received stating that a joint household ended on 01/08/05. The household reunites on 03/08/05. This household must not be reinstated.
Note: You must check whether the customer(s) is/are living in a closed postcode area and whether they are Pension Credit Qualifying Age (PCQA). If appropriate, you should then invite them to make a fresh claim instead.
For how to check the postcode area and whether the customer(s) is/are PCQA, use TCM1000628.
Note: if the customer(s) is not/are not of PCQA and live in a postcode area which is due to close within 21 days, tell them they will need to make a claim before their postcode area closes. They should contact our helpline who will be able to help them with this.
This list is not exhaustive.
When a deletion is required on the details held for the customer, this will usually involve deleting a period of signal history. Signal history is a record of all historic changes affecting the customer’s entitlement. The computer uses the dates recorded in signal history to calculate an award. You will need to be in the correct screen to access the required signal history, for example
* you must go to the Applicant Details screen in Function AMEND APPLICATION for the appropriate customer (Ap1 or Ap2) for deletions involving * Disabled * Residency, for example UK National or Normally Live * AA / DLA (HCC) / PIP (ER) signal * you must go to the Work Details screen in Function AMEND APPLICATION for the appropriate customer (Wk1 or Wk2) for deletions involving * Hours Worked * Place of work * you must go to the Income screen in Function AMEND APPLICATION for the appropriate customer (Inc1 or Inc2) for deletions involving * IS / JSA / ESA or MIG (now known as PC)
Note: From 27/10/2008, in receipt of JSA will mean in receipt of either JSA or ESA. If you need to confirm the actual benefit, refer to the Access to DWP Data System manual for advice on how to check the benefit details.
* you must go to the Child Details screen in Function AMEND APPLICATION for deletions involving * Responsibility * Childcare * Disability * DLA(HCC) / PIP (ER) * Full Time Education (FTE) * Connexions or local authority support services.
There is an Action Guide for this subject, select TCM0042180 to access it