Changes - death (customer): Death of a customer - referrals to Priority 1 team (Info)
All cases notified to the Tax Credit Office (TCO) that involve the death of a customer are to be dealt with by the Priority 1 team.
The death of a customer may be notified to you on the Priority 1 team
- in a letter sent to TCO
- from a phone call to a Contact Centre
- from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) or a Jobcentre Plus (JCP) office in Great Britain or the Department for Social Development (DSD) or a Social Security Office (SSO) in Northern Ireland.
- from a referral sent from the Rapid Data Capture (RDC) office in Netherton
- in a new claim form submitted by the customer.
The case will be referred to you with the customer’s
- date of birth
- date of death
The Child Benefit Office (CBO) may also report the death of a customer to TCO on a referral form.
Note: Any referral form received from CBO will be clearly marked so that it is directed straight to the Priority 1 team.
You must deal with all aspects of the case that relate to the death of the customer. This will include
- amending any claim to tax credits that has been made
- amending any claim to Child Benefit that has been made.
The Manual Correspondence signal is automatically set when the deceased checkbox is ticked. This is to ensure that any notices aren’t issued directly to the deceased customer.