Beta This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

Repayment Claims Manual

Processing a claim: RA action on receipt of a claim

When the claim is received in the District (RM1004 onwards) the RA should take the following steps

check that the form is signed

if the form is unsigned return the claim


  • with any vouchers and documents
  • without stamping the form or cancelling the vouchers

if the form is signed stamp it with the date of receipt.

If the case is already set up


  • cancel the vouchers
  • return any documents received with the claim (RM1024)
  • see RM524 next.

If the case is not set up ask an RO for advice.

The RO will tell you to either


  • send the claim to the correct District or section


  • set it up as follows


allocate a file reference

prepare a file cover in the taxpayer’s name

follow any special instructions

cancel any vouchers

return any documents received with the claim (RM1024)

use CZ (RM1500 onwards)

see RM524 next.

The RO may ask you to set up a case before receiving a claim. Set it up as above but issue a claim form, instead of registering a claim (RM1204).