beta This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

Repayment Claims Manual

Claims: Claimant or agent enquires about progress of claim

If a claimant says that a claim has been made but you cannot find it in the file

  • check with the RA who registers the claims to see if it is awaiting registration
  • check permutations of the reference number to see if it has been connected to the wrong file
  • use TI to check whether there is another claimant in your District with a similar name.

If the claim cannot be traced

  • see RM4080 about vouchers
  • send the claimant another claim form.

If the claimant objects to sending duplicate vouchers or claims reimbursement of the cost of these send your file to Central Policy (Tax Administration Advice Team), Stockport with a report.

If you find the original claim after receiving a duplicate

  • compare the two claims for discrepancies; if you find any, tell an Inspector
  • cancel both sets of vouchers
  • get the RSO to mark `Cancelled’ on the claim which is not processed.