Registering claims: What to do if the file is missing
If the file is missing when you have registered a claim you must look for it carefully. Use the following instructions to help you search. Make a note of where you have looked.
- all offices and storerooms
- that it is not with Head Office or another District on loan
- whether the claim form shows previous taxable income. If it does, telephone the appropriate PAYE or D District/Section and ask whether they have the file
- that it has not been misfiled under a transposed or incorrect reference
- a maiden name or forename
- the first part of a hyphenated name
- another file for the same person
that it has not been misfiled with another file for which a payable order was issued on the same date as the previous payable order for this claimant.You will be able to find this by
- using CL to see when the last payable order for this claimant was issued
- checking the Release List for that date.If you do not succeed in finding the file you should make a new one. This is called reconstituting the file.