This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

Repayment Claims Manual

RA action: How to use the instructions from the allocation officer

For claimants who are not on TI and do not quote a reference the allocation officer will tell you which District should deal with the claim.

If the claim does not belong to your District

  • write `Priority’ at the top of your covering memo
  • send the claim to the claim District immediately
  • send form 41 A-2 to the claimant.If the claim belongs to your District

  • allocate a file reference from the District record of claims references. The reference must consist of one letter and up to five numbers
  • use the first letter of the taxpayer’s surname followed by the next unused number for that letter
  • prepare an R133 in the name of the taxpayer and put the claims reference on it.The allocation officer will give you a D or CT reference for certain cases (RM1246). Cross reference the D or CT and Claims file covers

  • attach a note to any vouchers which were stamped with a District date stamp before you saw them. The note should say `already stamped’. Sign and date the note


  • cancel any other vouchers received with the claim (RM1020)
  • return any documents received with the claim (RM1024)
  • if the claim is from a minor’s parent or guardian see RM1032
  • go to RM1500 to set the case up before you register the claim.