Assessing: CTDs: Estate Duty
Estate Duty is not a scheduled liability, so it cannot be satisfied using a CTD. If the taxpayer wishes to pay Estate Duty with a CTD, it has to be encashed, first. The encashment date for the CTD is either;
- the due date of the Duty - this will be the case if the CTD is dated before the due date of the Duty, or
- the date of the CTD - this will be the case if the CTD is dated after the due date of the Duty.
In either case, send to CTD Team along with the completed calculation,
- the completed tear-off slip FAO826/1, or
- the original CTD and letter which accompanied it, if you have it.
If you do not have the CTD, send a memo stating:
- that the taxpayer wishes to use the CTD against an Estate Duty liability and
- the date of encashment.