Assessing: cancelling a payable order: reasons to cancel a payable order
You may sometimes need to cancel a Payable Order that has been sent by accounts office. Usually, this is because
- the order has been lost or returned undelivered
- the order stated the names of payees incorrectly
- the six months allowed for the order to be cashed has passed.
How to cancel it
In any such case you should:
- obtain the Payable Order from the taxpayer or agent, if it has not already been returned by them, or if it is lost,
- cancel the repayment at your file.
- complete form Sect 6A to instruct Accounts Office to cancel the Payable Order,
- take the Sect 6A personally to your manager to be signed and stamped,
- send the completed Sect 6A and the Payable Order endorsed ‘CANCELLED’ to Repayments Security Team without the file.
- note that the Sect 6A has been sent to Repayments Security Team at your file