Customer contact: Outdoor calls: Personal safety risk assessment
DMBM511340 sets out the risk assessment process which you and your manager should complete before you make a personal call. Remember you are not expected to make any calls that could put your safety at risk.
Unfortunately, the risk assessment process cannot cater for every contingency (for example, where you make a call on a customer who has no previous contact history). DMBM511330 tells you to:
- exercise care and forethought
- avoid placing yourself at risk (if in doubt get out!)
- use the safety aids which your manager has provided.
You should also remember when dealing with customers to:
- state what you want in a simple and straightforward manner
- stick to the point, keep calm and do not lose your temper
- do not respond to threats or abuse in a way which could make a difficult situation worse.