beta This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

Capital Gains Manual

Land: valuation: valuation office procedures: introduction

If you need advice from the Valuation Office Agency for Capital Gains Tax or for Corporation Tax on chargeable gains in relation to

  • any valuation of land in the United Kingdom
  • any apportionment of consideration to land in the United Kingdom

you should send a form CG20 to the Valuation Office Agency appropriate for the location of the property, as detailed on the intranet page entitled ‘Contacting the Valuation Office Agency’ 

See however CG74022 where the land is in Northern Ireland and CG75800+ for land outside the UK. A copy of the form should be retained with your papers.

In more complex cases a covering memo should be sent with form CG20 explaining why the land valuation is needed.

Form CG20 can be obtained using Forms and Letters in SEES.

Advice on completing form CG20 is at CG74320+.

‘Not negotiated’ and negotiated valuations

The circumstances in which you should ask for a ‘not negotiated’ valuation are explained at CG74381 while the circumstances in which you should ask for a negotiated valuation are explained at CG74430.

Unagreed valuations

If the Valuation Office Agency is unable to reach an agreement with the taxpayer about any land valuation or apportionment they will report to you a valuation or apportionment which is unagreed. The procedures for dealing with that unagreed valuation are at CG74500+.