1. Childcare tax credits

You may be able to get extra tax credits to help with childcare costs, if you’re a working parent.

Single parents must work 16 hours or more a week to get childcare tax credits.

Couples must both work 16 hours or more a week. But only one of you has to work these hours if the other is:

  • entitled to carer’s allowance
  • in hospital or prison
  • getting certain benefits, credits or reductions for disability or illness - eg Disability Living Allowance, Attendance Allowance, Personal Independence Payment or a disability premium for Housing Benefit

The maximum you can get for childcare costs is £122.50 a week for 1 child, or £210 a week for 2 or more children.