Hazardous waste producer registration (Wales)

Apply for this licence

Start now


You must register premises in Wales where you produce or hold (for example collect or remove) hazardous waste.

The process is different in England, Northern Ireland and Scotland.

Hazardous waste is waste that can be harmful to human health or the environment, and includes:

  • asbestos
  • lead-acid batteries
  • solvent-based inks and paints
  • pesticides
  • oils (except edible ones), for example car oil
  • fluorescent light tubes
  • equipment containing ozone-depleting substances, for example fridges
  • hazardous packaging waste

Check the classification of your waste to find out if you have to register.

You do not need to register premises for waste if:

  • less than 500kg of hazardous waste is produced, held or removed in any 12-month period
  • it’s a domestic premises and you’re not producing asbestos
  • it’s a mobile service at a customer premises, for example a photocopier repair service where the mobile service has its own premises registration - read the guidance for more information
  • the premises is a ship

How to register

You need:

  • one application for each premises
  • the Standard Industry Classification (SIC) Code
  • your company number if your business is registered with Companies House

Register online

To register online click ‘Start now’ at the top of this page. You must pay an £18 registration fee for each of your premises.

You can pay by credit or debit card (excluding American Express and Diners Club).

Register by post or telephone

You can also apply by post or telephone. Different fees apply.

Customer Service Centre
Telephone: 0300 065 3000
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call charges

Natural Resources Wales
Customer Service Centre
29, Newport Road
Cambria House
CF24 0TP

Bulk registrations

Fill in the bulk application spreadsheet and send it to the address above. You can also do a bulk registration over the phone.

You can pay by cheque and BACS.

Read the guidance before you start.

Renew your registration

The registration lasts for 12 months and must be renewed each year.

You can renew your registration up to one month before it runs out.

To renew click ‘Start now’ at the top of this page.

Your premises must be registered, or exempt, to legally permit someone to collect your hazardous waste - you’ll need your registration number to complete the required paperwork.

Fines and penalties

You can be fined up to £5,000 if you produce, hold or remove hazardous waste from premises that aren’t registered or exempt.