Apply for this licence

Start now


You must register premises where you produce or hold (eg collect or remove) hazardous waste.

Companies in Wales must register with Natural Resources Wales.

Companies in Scotland and Northern Ireland don’t need to register.

From 1 April 2016, you’ll no longer have to register in England. Before then, you could be fined if you don’t register your premises or renew your registration.

What counts as hazardous waste

Hazardous waste is waste that can be harmful to human health or the environment, and includes:

  • asbestos
  • lead-acid batteries
  • solvent-based inks and paints
  • pesticides
  • oils (except edible ones), eg car oil
  • fluorescent light tubes
  • equipment containing ozone-depleting substances, eg fridges
  • hazardous packaging waste

Check the classification of your waste to find out what you have to do next.

When you don’t need to register

You don’t need to register premises for waste if:

  • less than 500kg of hazardous waste is produced, held or removed in any 12-month period
  • they’re domestic and you’re not producing asbestos
  • they’re mobile services at a customer premises, eg a photocopier repair service where the mobile service has its own premises registration - read the guidance for more information
  • the premises is a ship

How to register

You need:

  • 1 application for each premises - you can register up to 5 premises using the online system
  • your 2003 Standard Industry Classification (SIC) Code - if you don’t know it, you can find it while you’re registering online, or get all 2003 SIC codes from the Office for National Statistics’ (ONS) website
  • your company number if your business is registered with Companies House

Online registration

To register online click ‘Start now’ at the top of this page. You must pay an £18 registration fee for each of your premises.

You can pay by credit or debit card (excluding American Express and Diners Club).

Other ways to register in England

You can apply by post or telephone - read the guidance and contact the Environment Agency.

Different fees apply.

Environment Agency
Telephone: 03708 502 858
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Find out about call charges

Bulk registrations

Fill in the bulk application spreadsheet to register more than 5 premises. You can pay by cheque and BACS. Read the guidance before you start.

Renew your registration

The registration lasts for 12 months and must be renewed each year - unless the premises produce, collect or remove less than 500kg of hazardous waste.

You can renew your registration up to one month before it runs out. You must make a completely new registration if your old registration expired more than 30 days ago.

To renew click ‘Start now’ at the top of this page.

Your premises must be registered, or exempt, to legally permit someone to collect your hazardous waste - you’ll need your registration number to complete the required paperwork.

Fines and penalties

You can be fined up to £5,000 if you produce, hold or remove hazardous waste from premises that aren’t registered or exempt.