Water grants 2015: permanent electric fencing (FG3)

Eligibility and requirements for permanent fencing.

This guidance was withdrawn on

Capital items for improving water quality are now available through the Mid Tier of Countryside Stewardship.

Farmers and other land managers can apply for water grants.

Read the accompanying guidance to find out more about Countryside Stewardship water grants 2015.

How much you’ll get paid

£4.90 per metre.

Where the item is available

This item can be used:

  • in areas affected by water pollution caused by farming in Catchment Sensitive Farming target areas;
  • to protect environmental features;
  • where the fence is not located on historic or archaeological features; and
  • where a fence is not already part of a grant scheme

How this item will benefit the environment

This item will help control livestock, manage habitat and protect environmental features.


Applicants must submit dated photographs of the existing site with their application for this item.

On the land

Successful applicants will need to:

  • erect wire fencing at least 1050mm high using a minimum of 4 mild steel or high tensile plain wires;
  • use straining posts with a top diameter of at least 150mm and 2150mm long, spaced according to the type of wire used;
  • use struts with a top diameter of least 80mm and 2100mm long, notched into straining posts;
  • use intermediate posts with a top diameter of at least 63mm and 1700mm long, spaced according to the type of wire used;
  • install a mains-operated energiser in accordance with the Institute of Electrical Engineers Regulations; and
  • make sure the work meets relevant British Standards – check the most up-to-date standards

Keeping records

Successful applicants will need to keep:

  • dated photographs of the fence construction sites taken before and after the work has finished (submit these with any claim and show them on request);
  • any consents or permissions relating to the work, and show them on request; and
  • receipted invoices or bank statements relating to the work, and show them on request

What must not be done

Don’t obstruct or block access to open access land, also known as countryside and rights of way land.

Published 2 March 2015