Voluntary-aided schools: capital funding

Information for voluntary-aided schools about capital funding, including relevant forms.

Voluntary-aided schools

Voluntary-aided (VA) schools are maintained schools and often, but not always, have a religious character. These schools are eligible for capital funding by grant from the department.

VA schools are paid on a similar basis to other categories of school, but the governing body must usually pay at least 10% of the costs of capital work.

Responsibility for work to VA school premises is shared between the school’s governing body and the local authority (LA). The LA has responsibility for the playing fields and the governing body are liable for all other capital expenditure.

Voluntary-aided schools information system: apply for a password

The voluntary-aided schools information system (VASIS) is a password-controlled site for VA schools, LAs and dioceses to access information about projects, claims and allocations.

To apply for a password, contact Education Funding Agency (EFA) using the contact details at the end of this guidance.

Download forms

There are various forms related to capital expenditure at voluntary-aided schools, which you can find below:

New capital works project: application for approval (MS Word Document, 109KB)

Additional costs application: for extra capital works above the original approval amount (MS Word Document, 207KB)

Tender report certificate: to submit tenders once approval to proceed to tender stage has been approved (MS Word Document, 223KB)

Pre-tender claim form: for approval to proceed to tender if the project has been approved using estimated costs (MS Word Document, 145KB)

Interim tender claim form: tender approval stage claim for if the tenders have been submitted and approved (MS Word Document, 157KB)

Final costs claim form: to complete the project once all invoices have been paid by the school or diocese (MS Word Document, 207KB)

Bank mandate form (ODS, 33.5KB)

Site acquisition form: for approval of land or premises to be acquired for educational use by voluntary bodies (MS Word Document, 130KB)

Unitary PFI claim form: for private finance initiative unitary charge claims (MS Word Document, 52.5KB)

Contact EFA

For queries about capital funding for VA schools contact EFA at, or on:

  • 01325 340846
  • 01325 340680
  • 01325 340772
  • 01325 340450
  • 01325 340693
Published 11 March 2014
Last updated 13 June 2016 + show all updates
  1. Updates to Bank Mandate Form and Application for Approval document.
  2. Updated forms for use.
  3. Updated approval form added
  4. First published.