Apply for a Driver CPC National Vocational Training concession

Apply to defer taking the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) part 2 and 4 tests if you're taking a National Vocational Training (NVT) programme

What an NVT concession lets you do

When you’re becoming a lorry or bus driver, you can drive professionally for up to 12 months without taking the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) part 2 and part 4 tests.

To do this you must:

  • be taking an approved National Vocational Training (NVT) programme
  • have passed the Driver CPC part 1 and part 3 tests

This is called an ‘NVT concession’ - you’re only allowed to use it once.

When the concession period starts and ends

The 12-month concession period starts from whichever of these is latest:

  • the start date of the NVT programme you’re taking
  • the date you passed the Driver CPC part 3 test

When the concession period ends

The NVT concession lasts for up to 12 months. It will end sooner if you:

  • stop taking the NVT programme
  • complete the NVT programme

You must have passed the Driver CPC part 2 and part 4 tests when the concession period ends. You must stop driving professionally if you haven’t.


You must be on an approved learning programme that lasts for at least 6 months and leads to a qualification.

The qualification must be:

  • based on relevant National Occupational Standards
  • at Level 2 on the Ofqual register or Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework level 5
  • accredited by a national awarding body that is externally regulated by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation or the Scottish Qualifications Authority

Qualifications that meet the rules

Qualifications that currently meet these rules are:

  • level 2 award in knowledge for a professional bus or coach driver
  • level 2 National Vocational Qualification (NVQ) Diploma in passenger-carrying vehicles (bus and coach)
  • level 2 Scottish Vocational Qualification (SVQ) in passenger-carrying vehicle driving (bus and coach)
  • QCF certificate in driving goods vehicles
  • BTEC in carry and deliver goods
  • SVQ driving goods vehicles

DVSA can consider qualifications that meet the rules but aren’t on this list.

Apply for the concession

To apply, download the application form and send it to the Joint Approval Unit for Periodic Training (JAUPT).

Apply for a Driver CPC National Vocational Training (NVT) concession

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

You’ll need to include proof that your NVT course qualifies.


9 Warren Yard
Warren Park
Stratford Road

Milton Keynes
MK12 5NW

NVT concession card

You’ll be sent an NVT concession card to show that you’re registered on the NVT scheme.

By law you must carry the card when you’re working.

Published 10 September 2008
Last updated 1 February 2017 + show all updates
  1. Updated information about where applications need to be sent.

  2. First published.