The risk protection arrangement (RPA) for schools

How schools can join the risk protection arrangement (RPA) instead of commercial insurance, what it covers and where they can get free professional advice.


All schools can get the cover they need and save money by joining the risk protection arrangement (RPA), provided by industry professionals on behalf of the Department for Education.

Join the RPA

You can join the RPA using your DfE sign in account.

You can create a DfE sign in account if you do not have one.


If you’re an academy, you’ll be covered as soon as you complete the form.

Local authority maintained schools

If you’re a local authority maintained school, you’ll be covered from 1 April 2020.

Converter academies

If you’re converting to an academy or setting up a free school, we’ll sign you up automatically but you can opt out if you want.

Church schools

If a church organisation allows your school to occupy their property then under the rules those trustees:

  • are covered for losses and liabilities they may incur through you occupying their property
  • can make claims on your behalf for those losses and liabilities
  • can have those claims paid directly to them
  • can use the complaints and arbitration procedures about those claims


RPA costs:

  • £18 for per pupil, per year
  • £18 per place, per year for special and alternative provision academies, special schools and pupil referral units

For academies, this covers you for the academic year (1 September 2019 to 31 August 2020).

For local authority maintained schools, this covers you for the financial year (1 April 2020 to 31 March 2021).

What it covers

This table summarises what RPA covers.

You should also read the membership rules for full details of your cover.

Type of risk Limit
Material damage Reinstatement value of the property
Business interruption £10 million any one loss
Employers’ liability Unlimited
Third party liability Unlimited
Governors’ liability £10 million any one loss and any one membership year
Professional indemnity Unlimited
Employee and third party dishonesty £500,000
Money Various, including cash on premises or in transit £5,000
Personal accident Death and capital benefits £100,000
United Kingdom travel Baggage and money £2,000 per person. Cancellation £1,000 per person
Overseas travel including winter sports Includes: baggage £2,000 in total per person (inner limits apply), money £750 per person, medical expenses £10,000,000, cancellation £4,000 per person. Check the full details of your cover for more information.
Legal expenses £100,000 any one loss and any one membership year
Cultural assets £10,000 on any one cultural asset or £250,000 any one multiple loss

Full details of your cover

These membership rules detail the full cover and provision of RPA.

Arrange additional cover


If there’s something you need cover for that’s not included in the RPA, you can get it from Crescent Purchasing Consortium (CPC). They also offer a legal services helpline. You’re free to choose a different provider if you want.

The RPA does not cover statutory inspections, often known as engineering inspections. By law, you must make sure that statutory inspections are done. You can procure this through Crescent Purchasing Consortium (CPC), or another insurer or body with authorisation to carry out these inspections.

Local authority maintained schools

For additional cover and statutory inspections, contact your local authority insurance manager first.

Free advice and training

On joining you’ll get free risk management advice, training and best practice guidance from Willis Towers Watson.

Contact them if you need advice about the arrangement and the rules:


Phone 0117 9769 361

Make a claim

Topmark Claims Management Ltd handle claims.

Emergencies and urgent incidents (excluding overseas travel)


Phone 03300 585566

Overseas travel emergencies and incident claims

Phone 020 3475 5031

General queries


Contact us if you have any questions, including about opting in or opting out.

Local authority maintained schools

Contact us if you have any questions, including about opting in or opting out.

Published 8 April 2014
Last updated 13 March 2020 + show all updates
  1. Definition of buildings updated in 'Voluntary controlled schools: RPA membership rules' and 'Voluntary aided, foundation and foundation special schools: RPA membership rules'.

  2. Updated information on how to join the RPA.

  3. First published.