The Civil Service Leadership Academy includes individual induction programmes at each level of the senior civil service.
Deputy director offer
Deputy directors’ induction combines the 2-day Base Camp with a year-long series of supporting events.
Base Camp is the first interaction for many senior civil servants with the Leadership Academy. It is designed to support SCS to make one of the most significant transitions within their Civil Service careers, and it is the start of a programme of support to enable them to transition to the grade over their first 12 to 18 months.
Future Base Camp dates are 6 to 7 December 2018.
Directors who are stepping into being a new Director in the Civil Service are invited to participate in the Civil Service Director Induction.
This one-day event is hosted by John Pullinger, Chief Executive of the UK Statistics Authority, Office for National Statistics, facilitated by leaders from the Senior Civil Service across government and curated by the Civil Service Leadership Academy. The programme will be tailored to the requirements of recently appointed Directors, supporting them to transition into the role.
The aims of the programme are to:
- celebrate the new role and support individual leadership journeys
- explore the opportunities, responsibilities, and challenges of the Director role
- embed existing corporate CS frameworks (A Brilliant Civil Service, Leadership Statement, Civil Service Code)
- promote the responsibility to contribute to the development of others
- focus on a current topic, recent topics have included ‘the contribution of Directors to the future of work, inclusion and digital agendas’
- inquire into the reflexive impact Directors have in their Department and the wider Government system.
- make connections to support the network of Civil Service Directors
Amongst the topics included will be; the ‘step up’ to Director level, creating your own personal leadership approach and developing reflective practice plus other topical presentations. Attendees will also have the opportunities to meet other senior leaders and foster networks with peers.
4 times a year
Director general offer
At director general (DG) level there is a bespoke induction offer based on each individual’s background and experience. CS Talent provides the corporate element of DG induction which includes:
- a bespoke one-to-one briefing with the director of CS Talent in their first few weeks to explore development requirements
- twice-yearly induction event for new DGs (this session is to help new DGs transition to full effectiveness and to develop a wider peer network)
Current induction event - twice yearly