The Civil Service Leadership Academy includes individual induction programmes at each level of the senior civil service.
Deputy director offer
Deputy directors’ induction combines the 2-day Base Camp with a year-long series of supporting events.
Base Camp is the first interaction for many senior civil servants with the Leadership Academy. It is designed to support SCS to make one of the most significant transitions within their Civil Service careers, and it is the start of a programme of support to enable them to transition to the grade over their first 12 to 18 months.
Future Base Camp dates are 20 to 21 September 2018, 6 to 7 November 2018 and 6 to 7 December 2018.
This transition point will start with an induction event that is similar to the design of the deputy director induction, Base Camp, but tailored to directors’ requirements.
The pilot will be based on findings from interviews with directors. Interim results suggest:
- strong desire to connect with other directors and build their networks through arm’s length bodies (ALB’s)
- sessions on working with ministers at a senior level
- public speaking/ storytelling
- hearing from senior leaders about their challenges and how they overcame them
- resilience in the workplace and how directors can lead upwards/ downwards in challenging times
3 cohorts each year.
Director general offer
At director general (DG) level there is a bespoke induction offer based on each individual’s background and experience. CS Talent provides the corporate element of DG induction which includes:
- a bespoke one-to-one briefing with the director of CS Talent in their first few weeks to explore development requirements
- twice-yearly induction event for new DGs (this session is to help new DGs transition to full effectiveness and to develop a wider peer network)
Current induction event - twice yearly