How to use the HM Land Registry Pre-submission Enquiry Service and Application Management Service.
You can use the Pre-submission Enquiry Service and Application Management Service if you are a conveyancer acting for a client involved in a complex commercial transaction or infrastructure development. The transactions must meet the service criteria.
The services can be used together or on a standalone basis.
Pre-submission Enquiry Service
As a conveyancer, the Pre-submission Enquiry Service provides you with initial guidance when submitting a complex commercial or infrastructure development application for registration.
HM Land Registry’s specialist technicians will provide guidance for technical or procedural queries that relate to complex commercial and potentially interdependent transactions. You’ll have direct access to the appropriate level of enquiry support.
The Pre-submission Enquiry Service:
- provides support to interpret our practice guides for a complex commercial transaction or infrastructure development
- provides general lodgement or registration guidance before submitting an application which has complex elements*
- provides general guidance on whether plans or documents are likely to meet registration requirements*
- helps avoid obvious requests for information (requisition) points
*You’ll receive a written response in panel 5 of the PSS1 form or on a continuation sheet
Access the Pre-submission Enquiry Service
Application Management Service
The Application Management Service can be used for the registration of a complex commercial transaction or infrastructure development that requires close management by HM Land Registry. As a conveyancer, you’ll have direct access to registration experts who will manage a transaction throughout its lifecycle.
The Application Management Service:
- provides you with an end-to-end service from an initial discussion prior to lodgement to post-completion
- provides points of contact with experienced HM Land Registry staff to manage the application(s), including an initial discussion before lodgement
- allows you to discuss a transaction with an HM Land Registry caseworker before lodgement
- helps to avoid obvious requests for information (requisition) points
- maintains contact as agreed in the pre-lodgement discussion
- manages the workflow of multiple applications and co-ordinates them into one location
- includes post-completion contact with HM Land Registry application management caseworkers (if required)
- provides confirmation of initial lodgement guidance in writing
- provides consistency of service when processing multiple transactions
Access the Application Management Service
Guidance obtained from the Pre-submission Enquiry Service and Application Management Service is not legal advice or instruction on making applications.
Using these services provides greater certainty on how to approach a transaction, but HM Land Registry does not guarantee an application will be successful.
HM Land Registry cannot:
- provide legal advice or comment on a point of law
- guarantee a registration will be accepted until the application is made for registration and we have had sight of all documentation
When the services can be used
The Pre-submission Enquiry Service and Application Management Service can be used only for complex commercial transactions or infrastructure developments.
A commercial transaction is defined (but not limited to) as:
- a project or complex portfolio, such as large numbers of similar applications in relation to complex work or site acquisitions
- one large transaction submitted as multiple applications requiring close management, such as a development site comprising multiple parcels of land from different parties – the land may include mixed tenure, different classes of title, and be registered or unregistered
- complex multiple applications that need to be processed in a specific order, such as chains of under-leases, or multiple changes of ownership
- multiple applications that have more than one conveyancer lodging parts of the transaction that requires close management
- infrequent applications which require a high level of technical knowledge or experience, such as complex ad medium filum or complex general vesting declaration
- complex amalgamation applications, such as multiple titles for a development site
- applications with complex ownership and financing arrangements
- applications with complex extents, such as commercial development divisions and complex floor level extents
- agricultural land that involves project management of cases due to complexity of dealing with multiple landowners, such as complex lease transactions involving multiple landlords letting to the same tenant
- infrastructure and strategic government programmes, such as High Speed 2 and Crossrail or market towns and villages
- strategic land acquisition for a project or programme
When the services cannot be used
The Pre-submission Enquiry Service and Application Management Service cannot be used:
- for enquiries that can be dealt with by the HM Land Registry Customer Support Service
- for enquiries that can be answered by reviewing HM Land Registry practice guides
- for applications that have already been submitted
- to expedite applications
- for applications that are straightforward or technical work of a routine nature, which may include transfers, leases and mortgages of shops, commercial units, substations or standard deeds of grant
- for bulk dealing applications, such as based on a common deed, including bulk transfer or charge
- for developer plot sales
- for residential property transactions
If your transaction or application is not suitable for the Pre-submission Enquiry Service or Application Management Service, HM Land Registry will provide you with a written explanation within 48 hours.
We aim to reply to applications in form PSS1 and AMS1 within 5 working days. If we cannot do this, we will write to explain why and tell you when you can expect a reply.
The Pre-submission Enquiry Service and Application Management Service are free to use.
Lodging a substantive application
Following your use of either service, you must include a completed PSS1 form (with HM Land Registry’s response documented in panel 5) or AMS1 form when you submit your substantive application to us.
Contact us if you have any questions about the Pre-submission Enquiry Service and Application Management Service.