How local authorities should report data for the annual special educational needs survey, commonly known as SEN2.
The SEN2 survey is a statutory data collection that takes place every January. You must complete a statutory collection by law unless there’s a good reason not to.
The survey collects information on:
- statements of special educational needs (SEN)
- education, health and care (EHC) plans
This survey should not be confused with the annual school census, which also collects data on the number of pupils with SEN statements and EHC plans.
The 2020 survey deadlines are:
- survey day: Thursday 16 January 2020
- deadline for submitting data: Thursday 27 February 2020
Submit your data
You’ll need to:
- register and log in with DfE Sign-in
- use COLLECT to submit your data
Please contact your school or local authority approver, if:
- you want to request a DfE Sign-in username or password so you can access COLLECT
- ‘special educational needs survey’ is not on the list of collections you can see in COLLECT
Get help using DfE Sign-in
If you do not know who your approver is, please use the DfE Sign-in request form.
If you’ve forgotten your password, use DfE Sign-in to reset it. You will need to click ‘Start now’ and then the ‘I’ve forgotten my password’ link.
Note that we’ll only be able to change the status of your data submission to ‘authorised’ once you’ve cleared all errors in the data in COLLECT.
The following documents will help you complete the 2020 and 2021 surveys:
- Special educational needs survey 2020: guide
- Special educational needs survey 2021: guide
- COLLECT guides
If you’re looking for guides from past SEN survey data collections, visit the ‘Special educational needs survey: closed collections’ page.
Do you need help?
Please use the service request form if you have any questions about your data. We aim to answer your question within 5 working days.
Please use the feedback form if you have any comments about our data collection service, including COLLECT and the helpdesk service.