How local authorities should report data for the annual special educational needs survey, commonly known as SEN2.
The SEN2 survey is a statutory data collection that takes place every January. You must complete a statutory collection by law unless there’s a good reason not to.
The survey collects information on:
- statements of special educational needs (SEN)
- education, health and care (EHC) plans
This survey should not be confused with the annual school census, which also collects data on the number of pupils with SEN statements and EHC plans.
The 2018 survey deadlines are:
- survey day: Thursday 18 January 2018
- deadline for submitting data: Thursday 1 March 2018
Submit your data
You should submit your data using COLLECT, our centralised data collection and management system.
Note that we’ll only be able to change the status of your data submission to ‘authorised’ once you’ve cleared all errors in the data in COLLECT.
The following documents will help you complete the 2018 and 2019 surveys:
- Special educational needs survey 2018: guide
- Special educational needs survey 2019: guide
- COLLECT guides
If you’re looking for guides from past SEN survey data collections, visit the ‘Special educational needs survey: closed collections’ page.
Do you need help?
Please use the service request form if you have any questions about your data. We aim to answer your question within 5 working days.
Reset your Secure Access login details using the forgotten password or username form.
Please contact your school or local authority approver, if:
- you want to request a Secure Access username or password so you can access COLLECT
- ‘SEN2’ isn’t on the list of collections you can see in COLLECT
If you don’t know who your approver is, please use the Secure Access service request form.
Please use the feedback form if you have any comments about our data collection service, including COLLECT and the helpdesk service.