Special educational needs survey: guide to submitting data
How local authorities should report data for the annual special educational needs survey, commonly known as SEN2.
The SEN2 survey is a statutory data collection that takes place every January. You must complete a statutory collection by law unless there’s a good reason not to.
The survey collects information on:
- statements of special educational needs (SEN)
- education, health and care (EHC) plans
This survey should not be confused with the annual school census, which also collects data on the number of pupils with SEN statements and EHC plans.
The 2017 survey deadlines are:
- survey day: Thursday 19 January 2017
- deadline for submitting data: Thursday 2 March 2017
The 2018 survey deadlines are:
- survey day: Thursday 18 January 2018
- deadline for submitting data: Thursday 1 March 2018
Submit your data
You should submit your data using COLLECT, our centralised data collection and management system.
Note that we’ll only be able to change the status of your data submission to ‘authorised’ once you’ve cleared all errors in the data in COLLECT.
The following document will help you complete the 2017 survey:
The following document will help you complete the 2018 survey:
If you’re looking for guides from past SEN survey data collections, visit the ‘Special educational needs survey: closed collections’ page.
Do you need help?
Please use the service request form if you have any questions about your data. We aim to answer your question within 5 working days.
Reset your Secure Access login details using the forgotten password or username form.
Please contact your school or local authority approver, if:
- you want to request a Secure Access username or password so you can access COLLECT
- ‘SEN2’ isn’t on the list of collections you can see in COLLECT
If you don’t know who your approver is, please use the Secure Access service request form.
Please use the feedback form if you have any comments about our data collection service, including COLLECT and the helpdesk service.
Published: 25 March 2014
Updated: 18 October 2016
- Added the 'Special educational needs survey 2018: guide'.
- Added link to 'Special educational needs survey 2016: COLLECT guide'.
- Added important dates for the 2017 survey and a link to the document 'Special educational needs survey 2017: guide'.
- Added deadline for 2016 SEN2 survey and link to 2016 guide for local authorities.
- Added a link to the 'Special educational needs survey (SEN2) 2015: COLLECT guide' document.
- First published.