Sixth-form colleges: apply to change name

How sixth-form colleges who wish to change their name should apply to the Secretary of State for Education.

Application process

Proposed changes to the name of a sixth-form college can only be approved by the Secretary of State for Education.

If you wish to apply to change the name of your college, please contact us with details of:

  • the reasons for the proposed name change
  • the date you wish the name change to take place
  • confirmation that you have consulted with:
    • other educational providers in your local area
    • social and emergency services in your area (such as hospitals, fire brigades, the police), so they know where to go in case of an emergency
  • confirmation that the proposal has been approved by the corporation that runs the sixth-form college

Contact details

Sixth-form colleges team

Ministerial and Public Communications Division
Department for Education
Piccadilly Gate
Store Street
M1 2WD

Adopting the change

Once the Secretary of State has received and approved your application, we would expect you to publicly change the name of the college within 6 months of the consultation with local authorities and local services. This may include changing the name on official letters, your prospectus and phone directories. The corporation that runs the college should also change its name.

After you have changed your name, you should notify:

  • your local authority
  • other educational providers in your area
  • social and emergency services in your area
  • parents of pupils who attend your college

We also recommend that you update your college’s details on Edubase.

Published 25 March 2014
Last updated 5 July 2017 + show all updates
  1. Updated Sixth-form colleges team contact details.
  2. First published.