Send a cash balance to the Treasury Solicitor (CB1)
How to send a cash balance to the Bona Vacantia division.
The Bona Vacantia division (BVD) of the Government Legal Department deals with bank and other cash balances previously owned by dissolved companies that now belong to the Crown.
The cash balances commonly come from:
- bank accounts
- other financial institutions holding credit balances
- tax and other refunds due from HMRC and other public and private organisations
- credit balances held by solicitors or others belonging to a dissolved company
This list is not exhaustive. Any cash balance of a dissolved company belongs to the Crown and should be sent as soon as possible after dissolution to the appropriate Crown representative.
Refer a cash balance to the Treasury Solicitor
Complete the following:
- check that the Treasury Solicitor is the correct office to send the money to by reading BVC1 on jurisdiction
- write to BVD at
Bona Vacantia - Cash Balance
Government Legal Department (BVD)
PO Box 2119
Switchboard 020 7210 4700
Please use this email address for all enquiries relating to the cash assets of dissolved companies.
You must include:
- the name, company number and last registered office of the dissolved company that owned the asset. You can get this information from Companies House
- details of the amount being forwarded
- contact details should we have any queries
Please send the credit balance by one of the following:
- cheque, made payable to ‘The Treasury Solicitor’
- BACS (including internet banking) or CHAPS to the Bona Vacantia division’s NatWest account
- Please use the dissolved company’s name (or as much of the name that you can fit in) as the reference
|Account name||Crown’s Nominee|
|Bank address||NatWest, Government Banking Service, CPB Services, London Corporate Services Centre, 2nd Floor, 280 Bishopsgate, London EC2M 4RB|
|Reference||[the dissolved company’s name]|