How local authorities should submit information about reviews of cases where schools have suspended or expelled pupils.
The school exclusion reviews data collection is a statutory return that all local authorities submit to us every January. You must complete statutory data collections by law unless there’s a good reason not to.
The data collection records the number and outcomes of all exclusion reviews that parents or guardians lodge (ask for) and that an independent review panel determines (decides) during the academic year.
It applies to:
- schools and alternative provision (AP) settings maintained by the local authority
- academies and free schools
AP settings are places that provide education for children who can’t go to a mainstream school.
The 2018 data collection:
- opens on 8 January 2018
- closes on 26 January 2018
How to submit data
You should submit your data using COLLECT, our centralised data collection and management system.
Once you’ve entered your data, COLLECT will automatically run verification checks. COLLECT will notify you if there are any errors or queries with the data.
You won’t be able to submit your data if it has validation errors.
You’ll be able to submit data with queries as long as you add an explanatory note for each query. We’ll review your query responses and we may send the submission back if we need you to clarify anything.
- COLLECT guides for schools and local authorities
- School exclusion reviews data collection 2018: guide for local authorities
Do you need help?
Please use the data collections service request form if you have any questions about your data. We aim to answer your question within 5 working days.
Reset your login details using the forgotten Secure Access password or username form.
Please contact your school or local authority approver, if:
- you want to request a Secure Access username or password so you can access COLLECT
- ‘schools exclusion reviews data collection’ isn’t on the list of collections you can see in COLLECT
If you don’t know who your approver is, please use the Secure Access service request form.
Please use the feedback form if you have any comments about our data collection service, including COLLECT and the helpdesk service.