Beta This is a test version of the layout of this page. Take the survey to help us improve it
School exclusion reviews survey: guide to submitting data
How local authorities should submit information about reviews of cases where schools have suspended or expelled pupils.
The school exclusion reviews survey is an annual, statutory data collection that all local authorities must complete by the beginning of March. You must complete statutory data collections by law unless there’s a good reason not to.
The survey records the number and outcomes of all exclusion reviews that parents or guardians lodge (ask for) and that an independent review panel determines (decides) during the academic year.
It applies to:
- schools and alternative provision (AP) settings maintained by the local authority
- academies and free schools
AP settings are places that provide education for children who can’t go to a mainstream school.
The 2017 survey:
- opens on 9 January 2017
- closes on 10 February 2017
How to submit data
You should submit your data using COLLECT, our centralised data collection and management system.
The ‘COLLECT guide for schools’ will help you to submit the data.
Once you’ve entered your data, COLLECT will automatically run verification checks. COLLECT will notify you if there are any errors or queries with the data.
You won’t be able to submit your data if it has validation errors.
You’ll be able to submit data with queries as long as you add an explanatory note for each query. We’ll review your query responses and we may send the submission back if we need you to clarify anything.
What data to submit
For the 2017 data collection, you should only submit details of exclusion reviews:
- lodged and determined in the academic year from 1 September 2015 to 31 August 2016
You should provide a separate set of data for each of these 3 school types:
- local authority-maintained schools, including:
- primary schools
- secondary schools
- special schools (for children with special educational needs or disabilities)
local authority-maintained pupil referral units (PRUs) - these provide education for children who can’t go to a mainstream school
academies and free schools, including:
- special academies and free schools (for children with special educational needs or disabilities)
- AP academies free schools (for children who can’t go to a mainstream school)
For each of these 3 sets of school type, you should provide 8 figures. Where a value is 0 you should enter 0.
State the number of:
- independent reviews lodged in total
- reviews determined by an independent review panel
- reviews where a special educational needs (SEN) expert was requested
- independent reviews upholding the exclusion (stating the decision to exclude the pupil was correct)
- reviews recommending that the governing body reconsiders the exclusion
- reviews directing the governing body to reconsider the exclusion
- pupils offered reinstatement where the review recommended that the governing body reconsider the exclusion
- pupils offered reinstatement where the review directed the governing body to reconsider the exclusion
Where schools have become academies during the school year, you should record the review with the school’s status at the time of the exclusion.
You should also provide:
- the name, email address and telephone number of the person who completed the return
- the amount of time (to the nearest hour) they spent completing the return
You may also refer to the School exclusion reviews data collection guide 2017 to help you submit the correct data.
Do you need help?
Please use the service request form if you have any questions about your data. We aim to answer your question within 5 working days.
Reset your Secure Access login details using the forgotten password or username form.
Please contact your school or local authority approver, if:
- you want to request a Secure Access username or password so you can access COLLECT
- ‘schools exclusion reviews survey’ isn’t on the list of collections you can see in COLLECT
If you don’t know who your approver is, please use the Secure Access service request form.
Please use the feedback form if you have any comments about our data collection service, including COLLECT and the helpdesk service.
Published: 25 March 2014
Updated: 19 December 2016
- Updated the 'important dates' and 'what data to submit' sections for 2017.
- Added link to the 2016 COLLECT guide for the school exclusion reviews survey.
- Updated page with important dates for the 2016 collection.
- Added a link to the COLLECT user guide, and added information about data validation.
- Updated with deadlines for the 2015 survey.
- First published.
From: Department for Education