How local authorities should submit data for the annual school preference collections.
The school preference data collections are statutory collections. You must complete statutory collections by law unless there’s a good reason not to.
These collections take place every year in March and April. They gather information about the total number of primary or secondary school places available in your area.
They also collect the following information for every child in your area:
- their parents’ preferences
- the school place offer they received
- some personal information, eg address and date of birth
These collections cover all schools that are part of your co-ordinated admissions process, including:
- free schools
- community schools (schools controlled by a local authority and not influenced by business or religious groups)
- foundation schools (schools where the governing body is the employer and admissions authority, and where the land and buildings are either owned by the governing body or by a charity)
- voluntary-controlled and voluntary-aided schools (schools established by a religious organisation, and partly or entirely funded by a local authority)
- special schools (schools for children with special educational needs or disabilities)
The 2017 to 2018 collection deadlines are:
- secondary school national offer day: Thursday 1 March 2018
- deadline for submitting secondary school data: Wednesday 7 March 2018
- primary school national offer day: Monday 16 April 2018
- deadline for submitting primary school data: Friday 20 April 2018
You must base collections on the appropriate national offer day, but you have 5 days to make your submission.
Submit your data
You should submit your data using COLLECT, our centralised data collection and management system.
Note that we’ll only be able to change the status of your data submission to ‘authorised’ once you’ve cleared all errors in the data in COLLECT.
If you are looking for guides from past school preference data collections, visit the ‘School preference data collections: closed collections’ page.
Our guidance will help you complete the 2018 school preference collections:
Do you need help?
Please use the service request form if you have any questions about your data. We aim to answer your question within 5 working days.
Reset your Secure Access login details using the forgotten password or username form.
Please contact your school or local authority approver, if:
- you want to request a Secure Access username or password so you can access COLLECT
- ‘School preference data collections’ isn’t on the list of collections you can see in COLLECT
If you don’t know who your approver is, please use the Secure Access service request form.
Please use the feedback form if you have any comments about our data collection service, including COLLECT and the helpdesk service.
Published: 25 March 2014
Updated: 13 October 2017
- Added 2017 to 2018 collection deadlines and specification for 2018.
- Added a link to the 2017 school preference data guide for local authorities.
- Added link to new generic COLLECT guides for schools and local authorities.
- Added 2017 collection deadlines and the 'School preference (child level) data collection 2017'.
- Added links to COLLECT and local authority guides for 2016.
- Added link to 'School preference data collections 2016: technical specification' and added collection dates for 2016.
- Added 'School preference data collections 2015: guide', 'School preference data collections 2015: COLLECT guide' and 'School preference data collections 2015: XML generator'.
- Updated the 'important dates' and 'collection documents' sections to include guidance for the 2015 school preference data collection.
- First published.
From: Department for Education