How independent schools must collect and submit data for the school-level annual school census (SLASC).
SLASC is an annual, statutory census that takes place every January. You must complete statutory censuses by law unless there’s a good reason not to.
SLASC collects the following information about registered independent schools:
- their contact details
- the number of pupils on the attendance register
- the number of teaching staff
- the courses of study
- the number of pupils with special educational needs (SEN)
- the number of pupils in local authority care
- annual fees
- details of accommodation
- the number of staff members who have joined or left since the last census
- the school’s proprietors
Do not confuse SLASC with the Independent Schools Council annual census, which also takes place in January each year.
2021 census dates:
- census day: Thursday, 21 January
- deadline for submitting your data Sunday, 21 February
Submit your data
You’ll need to:
- register and log in with DfE Sign-in
- use COLLECT to submit your data
Contact your school or local authority approver if:
- you want to request a DfE Sign-in username or password so you can access COLLECT
- SLASC is not on the list of collections you can see in COLLECT
Get help using DfE Sign-in
If you do not know who your approver is, use the DfE Sign-in request form.
If you’ve forgotten your password, use DfE Sign-in to reset it. You’ll need to click ‘Start now’ and then ‘Forgotten your password?’.
We’ll only be able to change the status of your data submission to ‘authorised’ once you’ve cleared all errors in the data in COLLECT.
- SLASC guide (to be added later)
- COLLECT guides
The following technical document is available for software suppliers:
Do you need help?
Use the service request form if you have any questions about your data. We aim to answer your question within 5 working days.
Use the feedback form if you have any comments about our data collection service, including COLLECT and the helpdesk service.