How independent schools must collect and submit data for the school-level annual school census (SLASC).
SLASC is an annual, statutory census that takes place every January. You must complete statutory censuses by law unless there’s a good reason not to.
SLASC collects the following information about registered independent schools:
- their contact details
- the number of pupils on the attendance register
- the number of teaching staff
- the courses of study
- the number of pupils with special educational needs (SEN)
- the number of pupils in local authority care
- annual fees
- details of accommodation
- the number of staff members who have joined or left since the last census
- the school’s proprietors
Please do not confuse SLASC with the Independent Schools Council annual census, which also takes place in January each year.
2020 census dates:
- census day: Thursday, 16 January 2020
- deadline for submitting your data: Sunday, 16 February 2020
Submit your data
You’ll need to:
- register and log in with DfE Sign-in
- use COLLECT to submit your data
Please contact your school or local authority approver, if:
- you want to request a DfE Sign-in username or password so you can access COLLECT
- SLASC is not on the list of collections you can see in COLLECT
Get help using DfE Sign-in
If you do not know who your approver is, please use the DfE Sign-in request form.
If you’ve forgotten your password, use DfE Sign-in to reset it. You will need to click ‘Start now’ and then the ‘I’ve forgotten my password’ link.
Note that we’ll only be able to change the status of your data submission to ‘authorised’ once you’ve cleared all errors in the data in COLLECT.
- SLASC guide (to be added later)
- COLLECT guides
The following technical document is available for software suppliers:
We’ve also produced a video that takes independent schools through the process of completing SLASC.
If you are looking for guides from past SLASC collections, visit the School-level annual school census: closed collections page.
Do you need help?
Please use the service request form if you have any questions about your data. We aim to answer your question within 5 working days.
Please use the feedback form if you have any comments about our data collection service, including COLLECT and the helpdesk service.