How local authorities should submit data for the annual school capacity survey (SCAP).
The annual school capacity survey (SCAP) collects information on:
- primary and secondary school capacity for the current academic year
- primary pupil number forecasts for the next 5 academic years
- secondary pupil number forecasts for the next 7 academic years
- plans for changes to the number of primary and secondary places for the next 3 academic years
Survey returns must include mainstream schools with capacity in any of the year groups from reception to year 11 on 1 May. This includes:
- local authority maintained schools
- academies, including:
- free schools
- city technology colleges
- university technical colleges
- studio schools
The survey takes place every year in June and July.
SCAP is a statutory collection. You must complete statutory collections by law unless there’s a good reason not to.
2021 SCAP dates:
- collection opens on Monday 7 June
- deadline for submitting your data is Friday 30 July
Submit your data
You’ll need to:
- register and log in with DfE Sign-in
- use COLLECT to submit your data
Our guidance will help you complete the 2021 school capacity collection:
In preparation for the 2022 collection, advice for local authorities on structuring planning areas will be published in summer 2021.
Do you need help?
Read the help page for guidance on DfE Sign-in.
Use the service request form for:
- issues accessing COLLECT
- any technical problems
Email SCAP.PPP@education.gov.uk for advice on the SCAP guidance or any other issues.