Respiratory virus unit (RVU): diagnostic services
- Public Health England
- Part of:
- Virus reference department (VRD), Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV): guidance, data and analysis, Human parainfluenza viruses: guidance and data, and Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV): clinical management and guidance
- First published:
- 1 August 2014
- Last updated:
- 27 October 2015, see all updates
RVU provides laboratory services for respiratory virus infections including Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV).
Respiratory virus unit (RVU) provides:
- antigenic and genetic analysis of influenza isolates
- diagnostic virus PCR, culture and serology
- investigation of outbreaks of respiratory virus infection
- genetic characterisation of respiratory viruses
- antiviral susceptibility testing of influenza viruses
RVU includes the UK World Health Organization national influenza laboratory and is involved in the development of diagnostic tests and vaccine evaluations.
RVU guidance and forms
- Referring influenza samples to respiratory virus unit at PHE Colindale
- Influenza serology request form (E2)
- Typing of influenza strains request form (E3)
- Respiratory adenovirus typing request form (E27)
- VRD manual
Respiratory virus unit (RVU)
Public Health England
61 Colindale Avenue
Telephone 020 8327 6017
Fax 020 8205 8195
DX address DX 6530006 Colindale NW
Published: 1 August 2014
Updated: 27 October 2015
- Added guidance about referring flu sample to RVU.
- First published.