RVU provides laboratory services for respiratory virus infections including Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV).
Respiratory virus unit (RVU) provides:
- antigenic and genetic characterisation of influenza isolates
- diagnostic and confirmatory PCR, virus isolation and serology
- investigation of outbreaks of respiratory virus infection
- genetic characterisation of respiratory viruses
- antiviral susceptibility testing of influenza viruses
RVU includes the UK World Health Organization (WHO) National Influenza Laboratory, and is a WHO RSV Reference Laboratory and a MERS-CoV Reference Laboratory and is involved in the development of diagnostic tests and vaccine evaluations.
RVU guidance and forms
- WN-CoV laboratory request form (E28)
- Referring influenza samples to respiratory virus unit at PHE Colindale
- Influenza serology request form (E2)
- Typing of influenza strains request form (E3)
- Respiratory adenovirus typing request form (E27)
- VRD manual
Respiratory virus unit (RVU)