Make it easier to import goods from the EU in a no-deal Brexit by delaying your declaration and paying import duties and VAT.
Stay up to date
The UK is leaving the EU. This page tells you how to prepare for Brexit and will be updated if anything changes.
Sign up for email alerts to get the latest information.
In a no-deal Brexit, UK businesses will need to apply the same procedures to EU trade that apply to trading with the rest of the world. You can make it easier to import goods from the EU by using transitional simplified procedures.
Who should register
You can register for transitional simplified procedures if you:
- have an Economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI) number that starts with GB
- are importing goods from the EU into the UK (including goods travelling through the EU from the rest of the world if they’ve gone through EU customs)
- are established in the UK – this means:
- you’re a sole trader who is resident in the UK
- your company or partnership has a registered office in the UK
- your company or partnership has a permanent place of business in the UK where they carry out their business activities
Who should not register
You should not register if:
- the only goods you import are coming into the UK directly from outside the EU
- you’ll use a customs special procedure
- you’re importing the goods for someone else (like if you’re a freight forwarder)
- you have a consistent history of submitting late tax returns, not paying tax or duties, or your business is insolvent
If you act on behalf of someone, you cannot register for a trader. But you can make declarations for them if they’ve registered to use transitional simplified procedures. The trader will be responsible for paying import duties and VAT.
What you’ll need
You’ll need your:
- EORI number that starts with GB
- VAT registration number (if you have one)
- business name and UK address
- contact details
If you have import duties to pay (and import VAT if you’re not registered for VAT), you must have a duty deferment account.
Check the tariff rates to see if you need to pay import duties and VAT on your goods.
How to register
Register for transitional simplified procedures online.
Online services may be slow during busy times. Check if there are any problems with this service.
After you’ve registered
You’ll need to set up a duty deferment account if you have duties to pay.