Register as a trader to import agricultural products

How to register with the Rural Payments Agency (RPA) to become an importer of Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) goods.

You will need a licence to import agricultural products into the UK if they are covered by a CAP scheme.

CAP applies to products in the following categories:

  • cereals and rice
  • olive oil
  • pigmeat
  • eggs
  • poultry
  • beef
  • sugar
  • fresh or processed fruit and veg (Including garlic and preserved mushrooms)
  • milk and milk products
  • hemp
  • ethyl alcohol

Before you apply for an import licence, you must register as a customer with RPA.

If you have registered as a customer in the past, you will not need to register again.

How to register with RPA

You should call 03000 200 301 to register.

Trader number

Once you’ve registered, you’ll receive your trader number. This is your unique reference number which you should use when writing to or contacting RPA.

Import licences

Find out if you need a licence and what types of licence are available to import agricultural products.

Who to contact

If you have any general queries about importing or exporting, call the RPA’s External Trade helpline on 0191 226 5050 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm).

Health certificates

For animal products, you need to follow the regulations on health certification. You can find out about these by contacting:

Food safety

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) provides trade information sheets that contain important information on restrictions for additives, pesticides and contact materials. You will need to check the sheet for your type of product.

Published 1 April 2014