Information for UK academic institutions, research groups or research centres about calls for PhD funding.
The Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl) operates the UK-France PhD programme and various smaller individual PhD calls. Calls for PhD-level research will each have a different theme and application process. We welcome applications to PhD level research calls from UK institutions with leading academics, research groups or research centres.
We do not accept applications from individual students; if you are a student you will need to approach a relevant department at a university.
PhD call 2017: Responsive Materials for Detection of Deposited Organic Solids
Dstl seeks to fund a single PhD studentship to develop future, innovative sensing technology for the rapid disclosure of deposited organic solids. Find out more about this PhD call.
UK-France PhD programme
The UK-France PhD programme is jointly managed by Dstl and Direction Générale de l’Armement (DGA). In 2011, the Anglo-French Summit agreed that it was one of the 10 priorities for the Anglo-French Defence Research Group (AFDRG). 53 PhD projects have been funded, to date. 10 PhDs were funded in 2016, 5 from the UK and 5 from France.
Information on the 2018 UK-France PhD call will be published towards the end of 2017.
For more information about our PhD programmes, please email email@example.com.
Published: 1 July 2014
Updated: 20 September 2017
- Updating PhD call information
- UK-France PhD Programme details updated
- New PhD call on military cyber systems
- Added 'Enhanced Detector Paper' PhD call.
- Add 2016 PhD calling notice
- UK-France PhD programme 2015 calling notice added
- New PhD calling notice added
- New PhD call added
- Added a new PhD call: Decision Aids for Command and Control
- New PhD call added
- New PhD call: Dstl is looking for funding options for a 3-year research project starting in October 2014 on the topic of analysis of aerosol samples with respect to microbial communities in geographically diverse environments.
- First published.