Norway: providing services and travelling for business

Guidance for UK businesses on rules for selling services to Norway.

The authoritative source for Norwegian market regulations is the Norwegian government. This guidance links to official Norwegian sources wherever possible.

Trade and services regulations in Norway

If you’re a UK business providing services in Norway, you’ll need to follow Norwegian regulations about:

  • getting an authorisation or a licence to provide a service
  • complying with local business regulations
  • EEA nationality requirements which could prevent you from providing services in some sectors

The Norwegian e-government portal for service providers can help you to:

  • check what you need to know about providing services in Norway
  • understand local regulations
  • complete the relevant administrative procedures online

Consider appointing an English-speaking lawyer in Norway to help you comply with specific regulations.

To check if EEA nationality requirements apply to you, contact the appropriate competent authority.

Ownership of companies registered in Norway

If you have a UK business, you might face restrictions on your ability to own, manage or direct a registered company in Norway or any other EEA country.

Read more about this in our guidance relating to the EEA and Switzerland.

If you’re a UK legal professional who has investments in law firms in Norway, you should contact the Norwegian Bar Association for further information.

Business travel and entry requirements

See the latest information on all travel to Europe.

The Norwegian Directorate of Immigration website has more information about:

  • visas including intra-corporate transfers
  • work and residence permits
  • supporting documentation
  • other conditions

Social security payments for employees

Check if you need to pay National Insurance in the UK or social security contributions in Norway.

Recognition of professional qualifications

Check if you need to take action by reading our general guidance relating to EEA countries and Switzerland.

If you need to take action to secure the recognition of your professional qualification in Norway, these sources can help you:

UK statutory auditors working in Norway

For UK statutory auditors, the Financial Supervisory Authority of Norway should be able to provide further information.

UK lawyers working in Norway

If you’re a UK-qualified lawyer working in Norway, under a Norwegian professional title or started the process of transferring into the profession before 1 January 2021, you can continue to practise in Norway, subject to the local regulatory rules.

If you’re a UK-qualified lawyer working in Norway, under a UK professional title, you are subject to the same rules as other third country (non-EU) lawyers in Norway.

You should contact the local Bar association or the Norwegian Bar Association for specific advice.

Data transfer and GDPR

As part of the wider UK-EU Trade and Cooperation Agreement, the free flow of personal data from the EEA to the UK will continue after 1 January 2021 for no longer than 6 months, until adequacy decisions come into effect.

As a sensible precaution during this 6 month period, it is recommended that you work with EEA organisations who transfer personal data to you to put in place alternative transfer mechanisms to safeguard against any interruption to the free flow of EU to UK personal data.

Read guidance on using data in your personal business or other organisation.

Published 6 March 2019
Last updated 28 December 2020 + show all updates
  1. Updated the following sections to reflect the changes created by the UK and EU Trade and Cooperation Agreement: social security payments for employees, and data transfer and GDPR.

  2. Business travel and entry requirements’, ‘Social security payments for employees’ and ‘Recognition of professional qualifications’ updated.

  3. Change to title to include travelling for business

  4. Update to 'Business travel and entry requirements' section

  5. First published.