Find out what fees you need to pay when you register for anti-money laundering supervision, and how to pay them.
You must pay fees to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) when you register for anti-money laundering supervision.
- a one off application fee
- a registration fee for each premises
- a fit and proper test fee (for money service businesses or trust or company service providers) for each person tested
- an approval process fee (for accountancy service providers, estate agency businesses, or high value dealers) for each person tested
You must pay a non-refundable application fee of £100 when you first apply to register for anti-money laundering supervision.
Premises registration fee
When you register you must pay £115 for each of the premises you include in your application.
If HMRC refuses your application to register they will refund your premises fee if:
- you didn’t supply all the information they needed
- someone in your business failed the fit and proper test or wasn’t approved by HMRC
Adding or removing premises from your registration
If you want to add new premises to your registration in the first 6 months of the year, you’ll need to pay the full fee for each premises.
If you want to add new premises to your registration in the second 6 months of the year, you’ll need to pay half of the fee for each premises.
If you need to remove a premises from your registration, they won’t refund the fee for that premises.
Fit and proper test fee
Approval process fee
Annual renewal fee
Towards the end of your registration year HMRC will send you an email telling you to log in to your account to renew your registration.
The renewal fee is £115 for each premises shown on the application at the time of renewal.
HMRC may cancel your registration if you don’t pay your annual renewal fee on time.
How to pay
You should pay your fees online when you first apply to register and when you renew. When you give details of your business, the online service will work out how much you owe and let you pay the total amount due for each type of fee.
If you’re not registered online
There are other ways to pay at renewal time or if you need to pay for an additional person to be tested.
Published: 23 October 2014
Updated: 27 June 2017
- The section on the 'Approval process fee' has been amended to remove the monetary amount as the fee will be advised.
- This guidance has been updated to reflect legislation changes effective from 26 June 2017. Information about refunds and fees to pay if you add or remove a premises from your registration has been added.
- You're now able to pay your fees online when you register or renew for anti-money laundering supervision with HMRC.
- The Initial registration fee section has been updated.
- Money Laundering Regulations new fee structure and charges from 1 April 2015.
- First published.