Manage abnormal load movements: guidance for police and structure owners
Use the Highways England Electronic Service Delivery for Abnormal Loads (ESDAL) system to manage abnormal load movements and notifications.
Use this guide if you are:
- an abnormal loads police officer
- the owner of a bridge or structure on or adjacent to the Highways England network
Vehicle or load movements that exceed standard dimensions are called “abnormal loads”. Hauliers must notify the police of their intention to move abnormal loads. They must also alert the owners of any bridges and structures that cross, or are crossed by, the route they plan to use.
You can use Highways England’s free online service: Electronic Service Delivery for Abnormal Loads (ESDAL) system to:
- sort, manage and make decisions on incoming notifications quickly and easily
- be aware of abnormal load movements in your area
- view maps of proposed routes
- identify potential ‘problem structures’ on a route
- add constraint information to advise hauliers of restrictions that may impact on an abnormal load movement
- build a library of ‘preferred routes’
- collaborate online with hauliers, providing feedback on their notifications
Log in to ESDAL. You must register first.
The ESDAL team maintains details of individual structures that cross or are crossed by the road network. If you own a structure it is crucial that you also let us know of any changes to your structure data or contact information to ensure the right notifications go to the right people.
Register to use ESDAL
You must be registered with ESDAL before you can start using the service.
You must register with ESDAL before you can start using the service. You should allow 2 to 3 working days for your application to be processed. To register, you need to complete a registration form for each member of your company that is going to be using ESDAL.
You can register online.
Abnormal loads police officers are pre-registered for ESDAL. To activate your account, please telephone or email the ESDAL helpdesk.
Hauliers can register to use ESDAL to send abnormal loads notifications.
Helpdesk: 0300 470 3733. Lines are open from 8am-6pm, Monday to Friday excluding bank holidays.
Great North House
20 Allington Way
Abnormal loads enquiries
Tel: 0300 4703004 Email abnormal.loads@highwaysengland co.uk
Highways England Abnormal Loads Team
9th Floor,The Cube
199 Wharfside Street
Last updated 28 August 2018 + show all updates
Replaced email address for ESDAL registration and contact information for ESDAL queries
Contact information updated.