2. Notifying the authorities
Depending on the load you’re moving and your route, you may need to give advance warning to:
- the police
- highway authorities
- bridge and structure owners like Network Rail
You can use Highways England’s electronic service delivery for abnormal loads (ESDAL) to:
- plot your route
- notify the police, highways and bridge authorities of your abnormal load movements around the road network
- get advance notice of any possible route problems
- save vehicle details and routes for future use
If you don’t use ESDAL you must fill in an abnormal loads movement application form.
Give advance notice
You must allow time to get the necessary clearances from the police, highway and bridge authorities. For example, a Special Order application must be completed 10 weeks before the scheduled date of the move.
Read the factsheet for notice requirements.