Levelling up premium payments for school teachers

Eligible chemistry, computing, mathematics and physics teachers can apply for levelling up premium payments between September and March.

Applies to England

Applications are currently closed

You can no longer claim for the academic year 2023 to 2024. You’ll be able to claim for the academic year 2024 to 2025 from September. You must claim by 31 March 2025.

The levelling up premium payment ranges from £3,000 to £6,000, from the 2024 to 2025 academic year, depending on the school you teach in.

You can apply from September in the 2024 to 2025 and 2025 to 2026 academic years.

Eligible teachers of the following subjects can claim a levelling up premium payment for teaching in eligible state-funded secondary schools:

  • chemistry
  • computing
  • mathematics
  • physics

When to apply

Use the table to find out when you can apply for a levelling up premium payment. If you are a postgraduate, use the academic year your initial teacher training (ITT) course started. If you’re an undergraduate, use the academic year your ITT course finished.

ITT course start or finish Academic year in which to apply
2019 to 2020 2024
2020 to 2021 2024 and 2025
2021 to 2022 2024 and 2025
2022 to 2023 2024 and 2025
2023 to 2024 2024 and 2025
2024 to 2025 2025

The academic year normally runs from 1 September to 31 August. Some ITT courses may start slightly earlier, such as from 1 June, but should be treated as starting in the following academic year. Applications open in September of the year shown.

Eligibility criteria

You must meet the eligibility criteria to be able to claim any additional payments.

From September 2024 to March 2025, you’ll be able to answer some questions to find out what additional payments you’re eligible to claim.

You’ll only be able to claim either an early-career payment or levelling up premium payment per academic year, even if you’re eligible to claim for both payments.

Learn more about what additional payments are available.

School eligibility and payment amount

Levelling up premium payments are offered to teachers in schools identified as having a high need for teachers. If you teach in an eligible school in an education investment area, you’ll receive a higher payment.

List of eligible and non-eligible schools for levelling up premium payment (CSV, 476 KB).

We have produced a methodology document (PDF, 130 KB, 2 pages) that explains our funding approach.


To claim, you must have completed at least one of the following:

  • an ITT course specialising in mathematics, physics, chemistry or computing
  • a UK undergraduate or postgraduate degree related to mathematics, physics, chemistry or computing on the JACS 3.0 principal subject codes or with a relevant higher education classification of subjects (HECoS) code (ODS, 9.24 KB)
  • an equivalent non-UK degree

If you were awarded qualified teacher status (QTS) through assessment only or overseas recognition in an eligible academic year, you’ll be eligible if you completed one of these qualifications.


You must have either:


You must be employed as a teacher in a state-funded secondary school (or middle-deemed secondary school) in England when you apply for the payment. State-funded schools include:

  • local-authority-maintained secondary schools
  • academies, free schools or multi-academy trusts
  • local-authority-maintained or non-maintained special schools

You must have spent at least 50% of your contracted hours allocated to teaching one or more of the eligible subjects at the time of the application.

Supply, independent school and sixth-form college teachers

If you’re a supply teacher, you must:

  • be employed directly by the school
  • have been working for at least one term before applying

If you’re employed by a private supply-teaching agency or teach in an independent school, you’re not eligible.

Part-time teachers

If you’re a part-time teacher, you’re eligible for the same levelling up premium payment amount as a full-time teacher.

You still need to meet all the eligibility criteria.

Breaks in teaching

You’re still eligible if you have some breaks in your normal employment such as:

  • sickness
  • maternity, paternity, parental or adoption leave

You should apply for payments as usual during these breaks before the claim window closes each year.


You must not currently be subject to any:

  • formal performance measures as a result of continuous poor teaching standards
  • disciplinary action


We make the payment in one lump sum.

If you’re eligible for both the levelling up premium and early-career payments, you can only claim one of these additional payments in the same academic year.

However, if you’re eligible to claim back your student loan repayments, you’ll be able to claim these as well as a levelling up premium payment or an early-career payment.

Taxable income and National Insurance

We’ll pay National Insurance and basic rate Income Tax for the payment on your behalf. If you are or become a higher-rate taxpayer, you’ll need to pay any Income Tax at the higher rate through PAYE.

The payment is not part of your salary from your employer. You, your employer or the government will not make a contribution to your pension as part of this payment.

Your payment, along with the Income Tax and National Insurance contributions paid on your behalf, will all count towards your income. You should consider how this will affect any other benefits or tax credits.

Student loan deductions

If you have a student loan you’re currently paying off, a deduction will go towards repaying it. This is automatically taken from your payment.


For any queries about levelling up premium payments, email

Published 13 May 2022
Last updated 23 April 2024 + show all updates
  1. Updated the eligibility and payment sections to confirm levelling up premium payments for school teachers in the 2024 to 2025 and 2025 to 2026 academic years.

  2. Removed the 'Apply now' section as the claims window for the 2023 to 2024 academic year has now closed. Also updated the 'payment' and 'breaks in teaching' sections.

  3. Added information about eligible STEM teachers being able to apply for levelling up premium payments in the 2024 to 2025 and 2025 to 2026 academic years. We have also amended the wording in the Income and National insurance section for clarity.

  4. The window to apply to claim a levelling up payment is now open and eligible teachers can apply. The 'List of eligible and non-eligible schools for levelling up premium payment' in the 'School eligibility and payment amount' section and the 'higher education classification of subjects (HECoS) code' file in the 'Qualification' section have also been updated.

  5. Added the dates on which applications open in 2023 and close in 2024.

  6. 'Register your interest' forms have been added for the academic year 2023 to 2024.

  7. Updated to show that applications closed on 31 March.

  8. 'List of eligible and non-eligible schools for levelling up premium payment' has been updated.

  9. Page updated as eligible teachers can now apply for payments until March, rather than January. We have also updated the list of eligible and non-eligible schools, the methodology document which explains our funding approach, and a list of relevant degree codes for those eligible to claim.

  10. Page updated as eligible teachers can now claim levelling up premium payments.

  11. First published.