Reported problems with the supply of an animal medicine and the date when the issue is expected to be resolved.
Companies are encouraged to report supply problems to the Veterinary Medicines Directorate.
Where a supply problem exists and there is no alternative product, vets may prescribe using the cascade.
More information can be found on The Cascade: Prescribing unauthorised medicines page.
For non-UK products vets must apply for a certificate to import a Veterinary Medicine into the UK.
Supply problems exist with the following products
Viper Venom Antiserum for veterinary use (adder bite antivenom)
There is no viper venom antiserum licensed in the UK for the treatment of adder bites in animals.
VMD accept applications to import European Viper Antiserum from Biomed (Poland) and Institute of Immunology, Zagreb (Croatia).
Before submitting an application contact the relevant manufacturer to ensure they are able to supply the quantity of product you wish to import.
Contact details of the approved manufacturers
Wytwornia Surowic i szczepionek BIOMED Ltd
Ul. Chelmska 30/34
Phone. 022 841 4071
Institute of Immunology
10000 Zagreb, Croatia
Phone +385 1 46 84 500
In urgent cases the antivenom may be supplied, purchased and used prior to the special treatment certificate being obtained from the VMD. This is a special dispensation made for this clinical condition only.
ACP Injection 10mg/ml solution for injection (Vm00879/4013)
Product indicated for anaesthetic premedication, tranquilisation and sedation in horses.
It is not known when stocks will be available.
VMD is aware of two EU alternatives containing the active ingredient acepromazine maleate, Calmivet solution for injection (5mg/ml), licensed in France and Vetranquil 1% solution for injection (10mg/ml), licensed in Germany and the Netherlands.
Applications to import this product for use in horses (only) are currently accepted.
Published: 30 September 2014
Updated: 10 November 2017
- Removed Equip EHV 1,4 from known supply issue notifications
- Updated supply issues list
- Removed Avian Encephalomyelitis Vaccines & updated supply date for Nobilis Erysipelas (Vm01708/4546)
- New supply problem: Equip EHV1,4
- Avian Encephalomyelitis Vaccines amended
- Supply issues with Equine Herpesvirus Type 1 & 4 and Rabbit haemorrhagic disease virus type 2
- Added the supply issue with Nobilis Erysipelas
- Normal supply of Poulvac AE (Vm42058/4097) is expected to return in September 2015 & new entry for Propofol products
- Change to the date Poulvac AE is expected to return
- Updated information on Avian Encephalomyelitis vaccines
- First published.