Known supply problems with animal medicines
Reported problems with the supply of an animal medicine and the date when the issue is expected to be resolved.
Companies are encouraged to report supply problems to the Veterinary Medicines Directorate.
Where a supply problem exists and there is no alternative product, vets may prescribe using the cascade.
More information can be found on The Cascade: Prescribing unauthorised medicines page.
For non-UK products vets must apply for a certificate to import a Veterinary Medicine into the UK.
Supply problems exist with the following products
The VMD is aware of a UK supply problem with Equip EHV1,4 Vm 00057/4316, which is indicated for the active immunisation of horses to reduce clinical signs due to infection with Equine Herpesvirus 1 and 4 and to reduce abortion caused by EHV-1 infection.
In light of this availability issue, the VMD are accepting applications to import alternative products. These include but are not restricted to:
- BioEquin H (equine herpesvirus Type 1) from Czech Republic.
- Prevaccinol (equine herpesvirus Type 1) from Germany.
- Pneumabort-K +1b (equine rhinopneumonitis virus) from USA.
If veterinary surgeons are aware of any other alternative products, you may submit import certificate applications for these. Each application will be assessed on its individual merits.
If you would like further information on Equip EHV1,4 (Vm42058/4060) please contact Zoetis UK Limited on 01737 332828.
Nobilis Erysipelas (Vm01708/4546)
Product indicated for active immunisation of turkeys to reduce mortality caused by Erysipelothrix rhusiopathiae.
It is estimated supplies will return to normal in December 2016.
- Adequan 100 mg/ml solution for injection (Vm12501/4174)
- Adequan 250 mg/ml solution for injection (Vm12501/4173)
- Adequan IM 500 mg/5 ml solution for injection (Vm12501/4175). Products indicated for the treatment of lameness in horses due to traumatic or degenerative aseptic joint disease. These products are no longer available within the UK or EU.
Viper Venom Antiserum for veterinary use (adder bite antivenom)
There is no viper venom antiserum licensed in the UK for the treatment of adder bites in animals.
VMD accept applications to import European Viper Antiserum from Biomed (Poland) and Institute of Immunology, Zagreb (Croatia).
Before submitting an application contact the relevant manufacturer to ensure they are able to supply the quantity of product you wish to import.
Contact details of the approved manufacturers
Wytwornia Surowic i szczepionek BIOMED Ltd
Ul. Chelmska 30/34
Phone. 022 841 4071
Institute of Immunology
10000 Zagreb, Croatia
Phone +385 1 46 84 500
In urgent cases the antivenom may be supplied, purchased and used prior to the special treatment certificate being obtained from the VMD. This is a special dispensation made for this clinical condition only.
ACP Injection 10mg/ml solution for injection (Vm12501/4125)
Product indicated for anaesthetic premedication, tranquilisation and sedation in horses.
It is not known when stocks will be available.
VMD is aware of two EU alternatives containing the active ingredient acepromazine maleate, Calmivet solution for injection (5mg/ml), licensed in France and Vetranquil 1% solution for injection (10mg/ml), licensed in Germany and the Netherlands.
Applications to import this product for use in horses (only) are currently accepted.
Published: 30 September 2014
Updated: 1 December 2016
- Removed Avian Encephalomyelitis Vaccines & updated supply date for Nobilis Erysipelas (Vm01708/4546)
- New supply problem: Equip EHV1,4
- Avian Encephalomyelitis Vaccines amended
- Supply issues with Equine Herpesvirus Type 1 & 4 and Rabbit haemorrhagic disease virus type 2
- Added the supply issue with Nobilis Erysipelas
- Normal supply of Poulvac AE (Vm42058/4097) is expected to return in September 2015 & new entry for Propofol products
- Change to the date Poulvac AE is expected to return
- Updated information on Avian Encephalomyelitis vaccines
- First published.